Thank you for calling it an important film. I did it only because I think as a common man. Paapnasam is about a man protecting his family from extraneous threats. How much of a threat do you feel civil society has to endure from lawless forces? Today, any family kitchen is threatened by spurious cooking material. The children’s education is threatened by dubious methods which has lost its integral standard and also costs an exorbitant amount. The whole country is threatened by substandard politics irrespective of their brand or philosophy.
Q. You play the father of two daughters, which you happen to be in real life. Did you identify with the character?
Even if I had three sons instead of three daughters, I personally would feel threatened in this intolerant country. I am fortunate that, I, at least, have a voice that I can raise for causes I believe in.
Q. Coincidentally, you played a father looking to protect his daughter in Mahanadhi. A sense of deja vu?
Mahanadhi is a trend setter. Many filmmakers have openly expressed the desire to make similar films. I don’t know if Jeetu saw Mahanadhi, I would put this film in the same genre, but with a more positive approach and hence more populist.
Q. What was it like working with Gautami again? Your assessment of her performance?
It would be unjust not to laud Gautami’s performance. She has done very well and has grown in understanding of her craft. I think the distance and years have helped her get a vantage view. The tragedy with female actors, who learn on the job, is that when they fully grasp their craft, it is time for them to retire. Gautami has overcome it thanks to Paapanaasam.
Q. Drishyam, the Hindi version of Paapnasam features actor Ajay Devgn. Headlines in Mumbai scream you’ve stolen a march over Devgn by releasing first.
Whatever the tabloids scream, the fact is, if at all someone stole the march, they were my friends Mohanlal and Jeetu. They stole the march from right under the Mahanadhi writer’s nose. Mr. Devgn and I are not even marching through the same market place. So his goods and march stay unstolen.
DC
0 comments:
Post a Comment